The Longest Night of my Life

Soon as we arrived at the camping grounds, Brian, our trail leader, advised us to setup our tents before the weather gets worse.  By 5:30 pm (November 29, Saturday), I was already inside the tent.  I didn’t bring my own tent. Good thing Narod was willing to share his tent with me. Thank you, pareng Narod! =.D

Soon as I was inside, I changed to prepare for the cold night.  I wore thermals underneath. On top of that, I wore a thick cotton or wool jogging pants, football socks and another pair of cotton socks for my legs.  For my my upper body and on top of my thermals, I was wearing my Men’s Health T-shirt, white long sleeves, Ateneo jacket.  Moreover, I was also wearing a scarf around my neck, hand gloves, and a thick bonnet.

The wind was blowing so hard that you hear it whistle from inside the tent.  Moreover, it was also raining.  The water was sipping inside the tent that we had to put Verchie’s poncho over out tent.

By 7:00 pm, I already felt cold.  I was trying to sleep but the cold weather kept me awake. This would soon become the the longest night of my life. Then, an unwanted thing happened. CRAMPS! Both of my legs!  It hurt so bad that I was screaming inside the tent that I awakened Narod.  He told me that the cramps was probably due to cold weather.  He advised me to just relax my legs and keep it warm.

Around 9:00 pm, I heard voices outside the tent talking about Adobo, our dinner.  It was too cold for me to go outside. Moreover, I didnt wanna risk changing my position on my sleeping bag. Changing my trigger another attack of cramps. Thus, I had no dinner that night.

I tried sleeping again.  Unfortunately, I would be awakened every half an hour.  Most of the time, it was because of my wet head caused by the water the sipped thru the tent. The poncho was too small to cover the whole tent.  I had to wipte my head and the wet walls of the tent.

There were times when I woke up shivering. I would try to look for an extra clothing to put on but I have already used all of my clothes.  The clothes I wore during the trek were already wet including the shemag and bonnet, which would have helped a lot in keeping me warm.

I also had a couple of bad dreams. I would wake up gasping for air.  It was very unpleasant.

Next thing I knew it was 2:45 am (November 30, Sunday) and I could hear the alarm clock in my cellphone.  Shortly after, Narod woke up. He went outside to take a smoke.  I remember him not finishing his cigarette because of the cold weather outside the tent.  We later found out that the temperated dropped to as low as 11 degree celcius.

Around that time, it was very peaceful. Everyone was still asleep. There was no wind blowing.  But it was extremely cold, it’s like you’re inside the freezer.

But despite the cold, the sky was so clear. It was filled with stars.  I’ve never seen the sky so clear and so beautiful.  I tried taking a picture of the sky but I had limited equipment.  Here’s the attempt from my SE K750i camphone…

Overall, the experience was very humbling.

4 Replies to “The Longest Night of my Life”

  1. Hello.

    I would like to put a link to your site on my blog roll if you want to do the same for mine. It would be a good way to build up both of our readerships.

    thank you.

  2. Pingback: Ben Alegre =.) Online » Blog Archive » The Longest Night of my Life |

  3. Pingback: online | Digg hot tags