After dinner, my friends and I went to Brauhaus for some booze. I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that the waitress was Filipina. I knew from that moment that it’ll be a good night.
Beer was expensive. I paid S$50 (approx. Php 1,650) for 3 bottles of international beer. But shortly after paying the bill (around 12mn), the owner/manager of the bar joined our table and initially offered us another round of beer. On the house! Who won’t take that offer?
His name is Michael, Singaporean. He claims to have ran his bar for over 2 decades. He talked about a lot of stuff…
- How he started as a dishwasher in Japan
- His rock and roll slash colored hair days
- Why most of his bar crew at Filipinos (from the waitresses, to cooks, to musicians, to drivers)
- How he takes care of his Pinoy-dominated crew. BTW, I asked Ann, our waitress, and confirmed that Michael is indeed a good boss.
- His son studying in Europe
- His business ventures in the Philippines and Cambodia
- Inviting Freddie Aguilar to his bar
- Be special request, you can order Filipino cuisine like Adobo and Crispy Pata
He kept on telling stories. He’d usually start this line: “Pare… I tell you…” Next thing we knew, he has already served us more beer that we originally ordered. And it was already 4AM on a weeknight! What a first night in Singapore!
Brauhaus Restaurant and Pub
101 Thomson Road #B1-13/14